Korean Talks
Image default
Finanace

Korea bets on swift legislative action to head off US tariffs threat

The government sees a clear window to avert a potential U.S. tariff increase, Industry Minister Kim Jung-kwan said Monday, adding that he expects the swift passage of a special bill to implement Korea’s investment package for the United States could persuade Washington to defer the hike. The minister stressed that Seoul is prioritizing passage of the special bill, with bipartisan discussions underway and approval targeted for early March, as it views legislative delays as the key obstacle to easing the trade friction. The National Assembly established a special committee to handle legislation for Seoul’s investment commitment to the U.S. as part of the trade negotiations last year. “The main cause (of the hike threat) is delays in passing the bill,” Kim said during a press briefing at Government Complex Sejong. “If the special bill passes in March, we believe there is a high possibility that the tariff hike could be postponed or withdrawn, since U.S. President Donald Trump cited that issue as the main reason for the increase.” Last month, Trump announced that he would raise tari

Related posts

Ex-Premier League soccer referee Coote gets suspended sentence for indecent image charge

Claire R. Peck

Lee orders protection of S. Korean nat’ls in Venezuela, preparation of evacuation plans if necessary: Cheong Wa Dae

Claire R. Peck

Coupang investors seek US probe over Korea’s handling of data leak

Claire R. Peck