KINSHASA, Congo — A fast-spreading Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now the country’s deadliest ever after killing more than 2,300 people in three months, government figures showed on Monday. The United Nations says the Ebola outbreak “is the fastest growing on record” and is killing a victim every 30 minutes in the DRC. No specific vaccine or treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain behind the current surge of Ebola, which spreads through contact with bodily fluids and causes a haemorrhagic fever. Declared on May 15, the DRC’s 17th Ebola outbreak is thought to have already been spreading for several weeks by that point. It has hit regions in the north and east where the presence of the state is weak, health infrastructure is largely lacking and myriad armed groups have roamed for decades. A 2018 to 2020 outbreak in the DRC, previously considered the country’s deadliest, killed 2,299 people out of 3,381 confirmed cases, according to World Health Organization (WHO) figures based on Congolese data. In its latest toll on Monday, the Congolese authorities said that 2,3


